History



five maps of the Triangle evolution of the site
Introduction


recent photo of Basin Bridge staples for the tow-ropes on Basin Bridge
The Triangle was formed in the 1790s by the construction of the Lancaster Canal, which turned a piece of land lying adjacent to Aldcliffe Road (then Aldcliffe Lane) into a wedge-shaped plot, having as its shorter third side the then newly built Basin Bridge. Designed by John Rennie of Lune Aqueduct fame, Bridge 98 is one of Lancaster's two 'roving' or 'turnover' bridges, built to allow the towpath to cross from the west side of the canal to the east, avoiding the coal wharves next to the canal basins. Horses were backed over the bridge still hitched to their towing barges, their tow-ropes gliding smoothly over the metal staples which connect the coping stones on the parapet.
1831


recent photo of Basin Bridge
An early mention of Basin Bridge occurs in the Lancaster Gazette of 2 July 1831, referring to the "stopping up of an unnecessary footway" leading from Samuel Gregson's land on Ashton Road via Springfield Hall, to the canal towpath, "near one of the Bridges over the Lancaster Canal Navigation, called Basin Bridge".

1845 OS map on display in the Maritime Museum Lancaster; image taken by Museum staff. Detail of 1845 OS map on display in the Maritime Museum Lancaster; image taken by Museum staff and reproduced by permission.
1845


In this map there are as yet no buildings on the Triangle, but a sandpit is shown adjacent to Aldcliffe Road.

1877 Harrison and Hall map. From : White, Andrew. Lancaster : a history. Chichester : Phillimore, 2003. 1877 Harrison and Hall map. From : White, Andrew. Lancaster : a history. Chichester : Phillimore, 2003.
1877


No buildings shown.

1887


30.7.1887 Lancaster Gazette

Report of Council Meeting

Occupancy of Land. — At a meeting of the Streets Committee on the 18th inst., an offer by the Canal Company to let a portion of land adjoining the Urban Authority's yard abutting on the canal, at £1 per year was accepted.

(Could this refer to the Triangle?)

At the same meeting Joe Johnson, a pavior from Salford who was later to become a tenant of the Triangle tendered for "various back streets" - £220 19s 3d.

1890-01 XXX.11 OS map 1890-01 XXX.11 OS map, reproduced courtesy of the Lancashire Record Office at www.lancashire.gov.uk
1890-91


3/4 buildings on Triangle (plot divided in half): one straddling land near pointed end, one (or two) built onto bridge and one adjacent to Aldcliffe Road.

*          *          *

XXX.15.8 OS map	
As above XXX.15.8 OS maps www.lancashire.gov.uk
1892


Two adjoining OS maps. Notice the gaps in the perimeter wall allowing for access to the Triangle.

1893


13 Feb 1893 Lancaster Gazette

Report of Council Meeting

Private Improvement Works: — Tenders were submitted for the private improvement works... in Carr House Lane. Resolved that the following tender of Mr Joe Johnson be accepted: £119. 11s. 8d.

Directory 1899 Lancaster & District Directory reproduced by permission of the LRO
1899


A local resident has mentioned that he remembered a builder called Joe Johnson using the site. This is corroborated by the trade directory of 1899 which shows the businesses along Aldcliffe Road: 5 coal merchants, then "Johnson Joe, pavior, contractor, asphalter, dealer in setts, cobbles, gravel, sanitary ware, etc." (house Brook Street) and corresponds with the 1890 and 1892 OS maps showing the series of five coal wharves and then the Triangle.

paving
1901


1901 Lancaster Morecambe and District Directory (Lancaster Library): Johnson, Joe, pavior, asphalter and contractor, Aldcliffe Road; house 36 Cromwell Road.

map 1910 1910 OS map held by Lancaster Library
1910


The 1910 map shows the plot divided into three, with a building adjacent to the towpath wall.

1929


An entry in a 1929 Trades Directory at Lancaster Library reads, "Joe Johnson, Pavior, Aldcliffe Road".

*
1934


In the Lancaster & Morecambe Directory for 1934 held at the Lancashire Record Office an advert reads: "Joe Johnson, John W. Illingworth, Pavior and General Contractor, Office Aldcliffe Road, estimates given for road making of all descriptions, hard tennis courts, bowling greens, paving, flagging, tar-macadam, excavating, concreting, drainage work, sewering, etc." No Johnsons appear in the Streets Directory for 1934 at 36 Cromwell Road.

1946


It appears that Johnson's firm has now moved out of the Triangle. "Joe Johnson (Contractors) Ltd. Ajax Works, Ridge Lane, Lancaster; Registered No. 00_413688, incorporated 26.6.1946"
source:uk data.com

1956-57


"Thomas Johnson (builders) Ltd. Aldcliffe Road (No. 5) and Johnson, Joe (Contractors) Ltd. 21 Meeting House Lane"
Lancaster and District Directory

1958-59


The following listed at 5 Aldcliffe Road: "Bateson, T.J. joiner; Bateson, B. Signwriter; Airey, John, painter; Denny, F., boot (boat?) repairer; National Coal Board; Fox, George & Co. Coachbuilders & painters;Hodgson, C., builder; Johnson, Thomas (Builders) Ltd." A box advert for Thomas Johnson describes his firm as "Contractors to Lancaster Corporation... Public Mortar Mills and Yard, Aldcliffe Road. For Sale of Concrete Heads, Steps etc."
Lancaster and District Directory

1960s


Then and now...
Here is the canal and Triangle towpath wall giving some idea of the openings that were there at the time. The boat-house opposite is derelict and has no roof. We are grateful to Graham Hibbert for allowing reproduction of photos from his Flickr photostream. There are more of his photos on the David Vause page.

1970


T. Johnson (Builders) Ltd., Aldcliffe Road
Lancaster Directory

1980s onwards


In the 1980s and 1990s the Triangle was used by local boatbuilder David Vause to construct and repair punts that were hired out for pleasure use from the Navigation pub on the far side of Penny Street Bridge, as permission to launch them from the towpath by Basin Bridge had been refused.
Directory David Vause (left) with Mark Townson
The building on the Triangle adjacent to Aldcliffe Road was used as a workshop and the lean-to was a storage area for the finished punts. David named the yard "Paradise Garden" after Frederick Delius's intermezzo from his opera 'A Village Romeo and Juliet.'


 
 

History pages by Jane Swan